Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Self Sufficient

Well last night for family night my dad and I decided that with the economy going to pot that we needed to heed the counsel of the brethren and become more self-sufficient so...we planted our garden! Actually we had already planted the beets, carrots, beans, and spinach, but we had our own little green house going in Heather's bedroom with our tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash so that is what we planted. It was a good time, Rylin even came out and helped us. This is what our produce is going to look like once summer comes along. We are going to be eating good this year!


After we were done we were so pumped up that we didn't stop there. My dad earlier that day found strawberries at the special store for a buck! So he picked up 12 packs of them and you know what that meant...Jam time! So we stayed up until 12 o'clock making the prettiest looking bottles of strawberry jam.

(This is actually not our jam, my camera is dead so I found a picture on the internet that best fit. Ours looks soooooooooo much better. There is no separation of the jelly and strawberries like in this photo.)

We actually spent another half hour calculating our labors, the costs, and compared it to how much a bottle of frozen jam at the store costs. We decided that for 4 pints of jam ours cost us about $4.00 and you buy 1 pint at the store for $4-$5! We made 20 bottles meaning that if we were to sell them for 5 bucks we would be making $100. I should start a business baby. Miranda just sat on the couch laughing at us that we actually were spending the time figuring out how much we saved and what not, but she just better watch it when my jam making business starts making me millions! Any who, if any one wants to buy jam off me for 5 bucks a jar let me know and you could be my first customer and maybe I will give you a discount! he he This could be you or your kids reaction to my delicious jam.



7 comments:

iMzOOL said...

i am jealous. that sounded like so much fun. wish i could of been apart of that--especially when it came time to eat the jam. i will take 20 bottles at the family rate. does that include shipping?

Loni and Tyler said...

JAckie!!! Hi, long time huh!! Your jam looks amazing. I will be making some this week too! Hope things are going well, your daughter is gorgeous!

Amy said...

Your amazing! Im obsessed with food storage right now. You never can be too prepared right?

Alicia said...

Jackie,
How are things?? Your little girl is such a doll, i must say. I'm glad i found your blog.

tara said...

well look at you! mrs domestic! i want to make jam mucho bad now..Ü

Jon and Ashley said...

Jackie,
It's Ashley. I found your blog on the VHS blog. Your little girl is such a little doll and getting so big since I last saw you. I'm glad I found your blog so we can keep in touch. Ours is private so if you want you can email me. ashleygiles20@yahoo.com

Kaylene said...

jacks, you're my jam-bottling-hero!